Learning Theories

In my perspective, the most important topic I learned is creating learning outcomes using Bloom’s Taxonomy. The reason I chose this topic because the Bloom’s taxonomy provides a framework for instructors which can help to focus on higher order thinking. The hierarchy of six levels i.e., Knowledge, Comprehension, Application, Analysis, Synthesis, and Evaluation helps in designing performance tasks and assessing the students. By using different Bloom levels, teacher can easily prepare a study material depending on the age-groups, culture, background, and prior knowledge.

Importance: A teacher can design an interesting course by using different competencies of Bloom’s Taxonomy. This method puts the teaching process in order with respect to the difficulty level. A teacher can be self-reflective about the curriculum development and the assessment. By implementing this method, a teacher can move beyond the lecture and the process of memorization. The six cognitive domains help to recall and recognize from the lower level to complex levels.

Image source-Blooms-Graphic-1024×757-00772b45d3974746afa6aa8a34db64e6.jpg (768×568) (thoughtco.com)

Identification and Incorporation of Knowledge in Teaching Practices

In my paper I will explain this with an example of Teaching German Language to the students using Bloom’s Taxonomy.

1.       Knowledge: I will begin the lesson with tips and notes to keep in mind while practicing. The levels of lessons will be designed at BL-1 stage as it will engage the learner in such a way that they are expected to remember the exact translation/meaning of the various German terms used. As this learning method involves the recall of knowledge as is, it comes under the purview of BL-1.

2.       Comprehension: I will help the learner in framing short sentences or phrases with complete understanding and comprehension of the German words used.  As the learner will be able to reproduce the knowledge in his/her own words with comprehension, the lesson will cover the BL-2 stage.

3.       Application: After learning the German phrases, the learner will be able to greet/introduce oneself to someone who speaks only German. The learner can apply the knowledge as is in situations where German is the “lingua franca”.

4.       Analysis: In this, the learner will be able to differentiate, compare, and classify between different words of German language.

5.       Synthesis: The learner will be able to compile the different information, words or sentences and will be able to produce different sentences in German language.

6.       Evaluation. The learner will be able to have thoughtful judgments over his/her writings and narrations.

Developing a teaching philosophy has a specific importance such as creating a methodology, ideals as a teacher, having teaching beliefs, and core values. This puts a positive impact on students and improves the classroom’s environment. Moreover, with the help of good teaching philosophies, instructor can reflect and act correctly in a classroom.

While reading Gagne’s nine events, many other theories came into my mind, and I tried to interconnect those with Gagne’s events.

Image source-Nine-Events-of-Instruction.png (1644×944) (educationaltechnology.net)

As the Gagne’s nine events provides us the framework for an effective learning. In the first event, it talks about gaining the attention of the learner. We can gain attention (ARCS model) of the leaner by telling the stories, showing pictures, or by demonstrations. It will help to increase the performance of the learner. The second events talk about informing learner about the objectives. This helps the learner to organize their thoughts and get an appropriate objective. Here we can apply the approach of cognitivism. Here we can also apply relevance of the ARCS model. Next is to stimulate recall of prior knowledge. In this, we can build the previous knowledge of the learner which also reminds us about the Schema theory. For this, we can also take the practice test to make the leaner recall about the previous knowledge. After this, we can add more details and information to the process. This gives the learner more responsibility to create a map about the learning process. The next Gagne’s event is to provide a stimulus for learning. This helps the learner to sequence the information by getting the fair idea of the topic. In providing learning and guidance, we can give the relevant examples related to the topic. It helps the learner to gain the cognitive skills and increases the future performance. Moreover, this event can be also related to the BL 3 level of the Blooms taxonomy. In the elicit performance; we have to allow the learner to acquire new skills and knowledge. Every learner will have their different viewpoints (constructivism) and we can relate this event to BL 4 level. You can present a picture and ask the learner to choose the correct response. After this provide relevant feedback to the learner as it will generate confidence (ARCS model) and feel motivated. This can be a quiz, verbal comments or so on. While giving the feedback you can specify by saying “You are doing a good job”. After this evaluate the learner to determine if the lesson has been learned properly or not. Check of the learner can follow the Bloom’s highest levels.  In the last event i.e., enhance retention and transfer, inform the learner about the similar problems. We can also provide the additional practice and in the end review the lesson.

other theories that we discussed during our class our, Behaviorism, Cognitivism, and Constructivism

Image Source-Behaviourism-Cognitivism-and-Constructivism-as-Learning-Theories.png (850×462) (researchgate.net)

BEHAVIORISM: One of the methods of learning employed in the practice exercise is that if a learner does not answer correctly to a question, he/she will be repeatedly asked the same question several times even after having answered it correctly. In this way, the learner when asked the same question again, is bound to give the write answer, as he had repeatedly gone through the same question again and again. Thus, the behavior of the learner is manipulated to make learning happen. It follows Classical Conditioning Theory as repetition of association leads to learning in above-mentioned case.

COGNITIVISM: As learning a new language involves various terms that a learner is completely new to, this theory is designed in such a way that new data are connected with existing schemas in the learner’s brain. For example, the learner is introduced to the term ‘Wasser’ with an image of water body provided in the background and is asked to give its English translation. The learner immediately can connect the already-existing schema for ‘water’ in his brain and add the term ‘Wasser’ to it. In this way, Schema Theory of Cognitivism approach is applied in this course to make use of dynamic schemas in the learner.

CONSTRUCTIVISM: There are certain pronunciation rules mentioned in this theory that make use of the differences in American and British accents. Three different learners with different accents (British, American, French) would interpret the pronunciations at their own discretion. Hence, this will lead to different viewpoints/variations in the pronunciation of that particular German term. As this method involves the learners to interpret the information as per their own schemas, ‘constructivism’ approach to learning is employed.

It is important to always keep in mind about the learner behavior such as reading, hearing, seeing, writing, doing and experience. We should write the content in an appropriate manner by starting from the lowest level up to the highest. Use voice modulations, full stops in the audio of the WBT. Use appropriate colors and do not make it too flashy. It should be clear and interesting and also very attractive. Write the straight – forward information in the content part. Avoid using confusing statements and do not forget to include the questions, quizzes, tests or so on, as it will engage the learner and make him to learn in a better way. A well designed WBT will help the learner to grab knowledge effectively.

Thank you!

Lovepreet Kaur

3 thoughts on “Learning Theories

1. Lovepreet, you have shared great points about learning and teaching. The current discussion about 21st-century skills leads classrooms and other learning environments to encourage the development of core subject knowledge, new media literacies, critical and systems thinking, and interpersonal and self-directional skills. Educational theories influence learning in a variety of ways. For teachers, learning theory examples can impact their approach to instruction and classroom management. Finding the right approach (even if it’s combining two or more learning theories) can make the difference between an effective and inspiring classroom experience and an ineffective one.

2. Lovepreet, you provided great detail on learning theories and I really appreciate how you laid out your post. Beginning with Bloom’s Taxonomy was something that I had learned in my undergrad and it has really stuck with me. I think referring to this and giving constant formative feedback is vital, as the evaulation matters, whereas a mark does not. You said, “the learner will be able to have thoughtful judgments over his/her writings and narrations.” I am curious what type of thoughtful judgements would you give? What would this entail/look like? Would they be one-on-one conversations? Written? etc. I am curious to hear more! Furthermore, behavourism involves manipulation to make learning happen. I am curious what your thoughts are on this? How do you think this affects learners? This reminded me of “mad minutes” growing up and how every single day, I was given the same questions and I need to get “faster” to become better at math… Turns out their plan failed (haha!) Thanks for your thoughts!!

3. Great post Lovepreet! Like Raegyn, Bloom’s Taxonomy was something that was stressed to me as an undergrad. I found it quite interesting to compare to the Learning Pyramid article from this week and the author’s negative view of it. Like you said, a teacher can increase engagement by applying to different competencies, and that is one reason why I continue to reference it!