Role of Media in Reading and Writing

Looking at an average day

Being a teacher, it is my responsibility to increase my teaching skills by gathering information through online due to easy access of those content as well as huge availability. I have found that several media which are treated a good source of content as well as an important tool to increase the power of digital knowledge and leave footprints over the readers. This concept attracted me to a huge extent to increase my scoop of knowledge. Thus, for me being a teacher, I think that average day of a reader should be like viewing news, surfing some typical informative websites and reading through specific articles as well as blogs.

source- https://advocate200.files.wordpress.com/2020/10/digital-footprint.jpg

News websites according to me are considered to be an important tool where I think, I can gather information across the world which further would help me to make my student understand. It is natural for students to ask question to us why, what, how the things are happening in their surroundings. Thus, through news websites, it will help me to remain updated.  Often, I found social media sites shares fake news. Thus, it is my responsibility to not get mislead by those misleading information which consequently misinterprets a particular incident. It hampers the advertising process as well as the public relationship with media.

Personal strategies and Connection Making

Strategies need to be taken before cultivating news. According to me, there is much fake news available on the news websites and are served in centralized metric forms and valued as strong online content. On daily basis, comes across with several fake news which are too hard to believe.

source- https://assets.weforum.org/editor/lTuCjjznyEzXKXbFDt7Lyh8zAgYMKd-ghe2Z9huYLjw.png

The article Fighting ‘Fake News’ in the Classroom, by Holly, is also very knowledgeable, as it explains about how new media channel affects people in spreading fake news. As a teacher, I think strategies should be considered like source acknowledgement must be followed before news is regarded as true.

• Person who is story reporting and the way of reporting is noticed and developing a critical mindset is necessary to analyse about the trustworthiness of particular news.
  • Images need to be supervised before considering their face value. There is a certain process through which the information collected must be validated by a literate person and it includes six steps.
  • First, it needs to identify and then find the source of the information.
  • Generally, two types of fake news prevail and those are the stories that are absolutely false and another one is stories that are partially true.

Third step of news validation according to me is evaluating the news and then applying that news on website and finally acknowledging it. Looking towards accuracy and fairness can be followed so that use of neutral language, reverse image searching features must be monitored.

Moreover, the article” A Reminder That ‘Fake News’ Is An Information Literacy Problem – Not A Technology Problem, by Chris, which I found to be very informative as it explains the role of society for spreading fake news which is not a problem of media and technology.

“Misinformation is the side effect of being uninformed.”     ― Mohith Agadi

Thank you

Lovepreet Kaur

One thought on “Role of Media in Reading and Writing

1. Thanks for sharing the infographic with the foot. It is such a great visual, and I know that it would be helpful for students to see and hopefully understand. There is so much information that we engage with and often forget about the digital footprint that we are leaving behind.